Which is better for digital marketers? DigiDay explores the answer:
- Instagram monthly active users: 700 million; daily active users at 400 million
- Facebook’s me-too strategy seems to be working, at least in the short run. Instagram Stories surpassed 200 million daily users at the end of April.
- According to Snap’s first-quarter report, the app has 166 million daily users in total. Here’s a chart from before the filing showing how quickly Instagram stories passed Snapchat.
- Snapchat users skew younger: 60 percent of its users are under 25, and according to Nielsen research commissioned by the company, it reaches 41 percent of all 18- to 34-year-olds in the U.S. Instagram skews older: Pew estimates that the platform does well with 30- to 49-year-olds, with 33 percent of Internet users in that group using it.
- For influencers on the platform, opens have also decreased. A report by Delmondo found that unique viewers per Snapchat story have gone down 40 percent. A report by Amplify found that influencers see 28 percent higher open rates on Instagram Stories compared with Snapchat.
- Snap Ads: Snap Ads are video ads that can be up to 10 seconds long. They live within friends’ stories and on Discover, and can be paired with articles or app installs. They come with a “swipe-up” functionality that lets you add websites or other destinations.
- Instagram photo ads: In square or landscape, a static photo with a “Shop Now” link can take you to the brand’s site or elsewhere. Instagram photo ads: Up to 60 seconds long, videos also let you link out.